Friday 23 September 2011

The ones with special days

 
         


The wine:  Salduba Garnacha 2008
The book: One Day, David Nicholls

TomAYto, tomAHto; potAYto, potAHto; grenache, garnacha, cannonau....

It took me a while to work out that grenache and garnacha were the same grape.* I have only just found out it's also called cannonau, in Sardinia. Life is for learning.

I mention this because today is International Grenache Day. That link points to a Decanter article explaining what the day is all about, but it was actually an email from the people at slurp.co.uk which first alerted me to the occasion. 

And what better excuse to buy a bottle of wine?  I popped into Waitrose** to see what they had in stock and once I'd ruled out any blends I was left with two choices; the Salduba, pictured above, and Peter Lehmann's Back To Back.  I nearly went with the Peter Lehmann, and now that I've read a few reviews am starting to wish I had. The Salduba is still perfectly drinkable though; a little rough and ready perhaps but nice and spicy with loads of jammy fruit on the nose.

Grenache tends to be used in blends more than on its own and has quite a high sugar content which makes it particularly good for fortified wines; the sugar develops because of how long it takes the grapes to ripen. The Salduba comes from the mountains in Aragon, Northern Spain, where the Garnacha grapes are thought to have originated, which makes me quite glad I chose it really.  Seems a fitting way to mark the occasion.

The occasion being marked in One Day is St Swithin's day.  We follow the story of Emma and Dexter for 20 years, starting with their first meeting on July 15th 1988 and dipping into their lives on every July 15th after that.  As they both grow up and navigate their 20s and 30s via the usual landmarks - jobs, relationships, babies - their friendship becomes every bit as complicated and unique as real life long-term friendships do. 

Unless you've been under a rock for the last six months you'll know the book has become a massive, massive hit; author David Nicholls was already fairly well known thanks to his Starter for 10 being the film which Mathew MacFadyen did just before Last King of Scotland launched him to stardom, but the success of One Day has cemented Nicholls' celebrity status.  You can hardly get on a tube or bus in London at the moment without seeing someone reading a copy; at the Firestation Bookswap (a fun and slightly chaotic book event I occasionally get to) it has acheived somewhat of a cult status as the book which someone will inevitably bring along.  Every single month.

I'm not convinced the book lives up to the hype. I liked it, but didn't love it as much as I thought it would; then again if it hadn't been for the hype I wouldn't have expected to love it as much as I did in the first place. That's the problem with hype.

When I was first formulating this post I was convinced I'd once read something about there being a special day for a particular book.  An international Pride and Prejudice or To Kill A Mockingbird or even Life-of-Bleeding-Pi Day.  As it turns out, I might have been making this up.  There are lots of days and events to commemorate certain authors (Roald Dahl day was a few weeks ago, and there's a Jane Austen festival in Bath every year) but I can't find anything for a specific book.  So to be honest, I'm cheating a little with One Day.

It sort of fits the bill though, and is quite topical what with the film still being shown in the cinemas and all. I went and saw it a few weeks ago and for a film adaptation it's not bad.  It's not great, either; large chunks of the story are condensed into short moments and significant events are diluted to the point where they barely matter;  I think I would have found it hard to appreciate the true depth of the story if I hadn't already read the book. The conversations I overheard on the way out of the cinema support this theory.

And everything you've heard about Anne Hathaway's meandering accent is true, by the way. I'm convinced that certain lines of dialouge were added just to give her the chance to prove that she really does know that 'bath' is supposed to rhyme with 'lass'.  But: bath, bARth, Grenache, Garn-ARcha.  Each to their own, really.


*see also: Shiraz and Syrrah. 

** Slurp.co.uk have all sorts of great offers on grenache at the moment, and I'm guessing that the email, which arrived at about 4.30 this afternoon, was supposed to get me to buy some of their wine.  Which might have worked, except for the fact that I wanted to drink some grenache TODAY - what with it being international grenache day and all - and not in a day or two, which is how long I'd have to wait if I ordered it from Slurp.co.uk.  So I went to Waitrose.  I am no expert, but I reckon the marketing people at Slurp.co.uk might need to re-think their strategy. 
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment